Friday, March 9, 2012

Other movements

Appalachian Mountains


Today was all about stretching and getting more oxygen to the muscles. I'm sure that, if anyone was here through the day, I would have been laughed at. I did this slow marching walk down the hallway anytime I needed to get to a different room. While I reskeined the shop yarn I did the quad stretches. Anytime I was standing still for any reason I stretched out the muscles in my legs. Even sitting cross-legged created an opportunity to stretch. And I feel a lot better.

Oddly enough, my legs still want to buckle at odd times. Like during my belly dancing and hooping. So, I stuck to the upper body and called it a day.

What strikes me the most is that I really thought my legs were strong. I walk a lot, I bike a lot, I use them daily. So why this much pain? Why this much time needed for recovery? Because the parts of the muscles that are now being strengthened haven't been used that much. Yes, my legs are fairly strong, and now they will start getting stronger.

There are some goals along this journey through Middle Earth that I am beginning to see clearly. One is a weight loss, another is a healthy and strong body. April pointed out that once these goals are reached, it will be time for new goals. That thought frightens me a little bit. What I said to her was that the need for the goals doesn't scare me, but the ideas I have do. Just a little.

For example, the Appalachian Trail. It's 2180 miles long. How long would it take for me to walk that? I couldn't do it in one summer, that's pretty clear (after I looked at my math again). But if I took a week or two each year, maybe one in spring and one in autumn, how many years would that trail take? What beauty would I encounter along the way?

I sit here now and I dream of such things.


No comments:

Post a Comment