Wednesday, February 22, 2012

659.3 Miles

(16.1)

I'm still not caught up to the book (at this point only 201 miles from Rivendell) so I don't get to listen for a couple more days.

I went the whole hour today and made it to just over 16 miles (exactly 10 more than yesterday). I wanted to go faster, but since there is still just a slight twinge in my knee I decided to take it easy. My arms are pretty sore from yesterday and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go ahead and do the chains tomorrow. The worst that can happen is I won't make it through the whole session, right?

I haven't talked much about the changes in my nutrition yet, so I'll add a little today. I've almost eliminated all grains and sugars at this point. At first it was strange to eat eggs in the morning without toast and I did still have a piece every now and then. Plus I'm still using up the stuff in my pantry. It's been a couple weeks since I had bread (and I only bought whole grain before). Only, I had some last night with the soup I ate. I regretted it later last night and even more today. I won't go into detail, but if you stop eating most grains for a while, then eat white bread, your belly will not be happy. Anyway, I'm not going for a gluten-free diet or anything like that, just letting go of them until all the blood levels are where they need to be. After that? We'll see.

With the sugars I've learned to replace most sugar in drinks with stevia. I don't get that "truvia" from the grocery store since it has other stuff added. Instead I buy the real stuff from NuNaturals. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt making hot cocoa with raw cacoa nibs, milk, and stevia. I'll be sure to let you know how that works out. Why hot cocoa? Because that is an awesome drink through the winter and I miss it. The other sugars... I've learned that when I eat something sweet pretty close to the end of dinner (or whatever meal) I don't have as many issues. I've also learned that eating something with some protein in it soon after eating sweets helps keep the symptoms at bay. Even with that knowledge, however, I need to get this even more under control. I like to eat the things my loved ones make and don't like having to pass them up. Brianna's brownies are heavenly, Kevin's custard is wonderful... I don't want to miss out on these small bits of life. And I don't want them to refrain from their enjoyment of baking/cooking just because I have to focus on things a little differently.

I'm also learning about sprouts. They're kind of fun, actually. I made some red lentil sprouts last week and am looking forward to trying several other seeds. I'm also learning to make salad dressing with plain yogurt. Pretty cool stuff.

Okay, today's knitting was really good. I figured out that it takes a little over 7 minutes to do a complete row (2 socks at the same time) so I am happy to say that I can get between 7 and 9 rows complete in an hour (or slightly longer). At that rate I should have these finished by the end of the month and I can turn them in for a class on HPKCHC.


No comments:

Post a Comment